Friday, April 1, 2011

Excerpt from Journey to Fulfillment

At the beginning of the 2009 school year, two parents came to me concerned about their son. This was not the first time they had entered my office with concerns. Jack was eighteen years old with the maturity and behavior of a twelve-year-old. His behavior and mindset had not changed since his freshman year. Each time he got in trouble, his parents would swoop down like a mother eagle and rescue him from the consequences, then come to my office and complain about him. They criticized his drinking and driving, yet refused to remove the alcohol from their home. They thought they had hidden the fact that the dad had just returned from rehab after receiving several DUI violations. Two years earlier, I had sent Jack to a psychiatrist for a medication review and counseling. Those visits ended when the doctor told the mother to make an appointment for herself because she needed more help than Jack. On this day, tired of having the same conversation for four years, I completely lost my patience and without thinking said, “Jack, you need to man up, and you two need to back off.” As soon as the words were out of my mouth, I was stunned that I had used this tactic. However, the principal thanked me. Jack hasn’t gotten in any more trouble, and the parents have not returned to my office to complain. I try to enter each consultation seriously and prayerfully. I hope that my experiences have been used by God to be helpful to other parents.

No comments: