Saturday, June 4, 2011

What Is Love?

When my children were growing up, I would tell them, "I have to do what is best for you, even when it is not easy on me or you."  Many times it would have been easier to give in to their request or ignore inappropriate behavior.  But if we love someone, taking 'easy street' is not in their best interest.  In fact it is self-indulgent.

Christ certainly didn't take the easy way out when he died on the cross for our sins.  The old song said, "He could have called 10,000 angels.  But He died for you and He died for me."  If we want to show the kind of love that Christ showed us, we need to be willing to sacrifice ourselves for our loved ones' best interest.

As most of you know, my mother-in-law just passed away.  She was a wonderful woman in many ways, but irresponsible with finances and health.  To do what was in her best interest, I obtained complete control of her finances and medical decisions.  It was not easy to go through the legal channels, but the end result was that I was able to place her in an assisted living facility which extended her life by at least five years.  These facilities are not cheap and there is no way she could have afforded it if she had access to funds.  I did what I had to do to care for her.  She understood and after an adjustment period, appreciated it.  (The nurses would laugh and tell me that if they asked her to make a decision, her answer was always "Call Theresa.")

I am now faced with another 'opportunity to serve' but at great sacrifice.  This task will be much harder, but if I am to show the love of Christ, I must be willing to go to whatever lengths necessary to provide care for some one who is unable to recognize the need.  I will tell you more about this situation in later posts.  Please pray for me as I do the research and make the decisions necessary.

No comments: