Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Negativity

Negaholics No More!
I was doing some extra work for a local school district yesterday.  In the office, I found a book called Negaholics No More.  It is a teaching series designed to show people how to overcome negativity in themselves and the work environment.   I asked the assistant principal, who is also a friend, about the series.  He didn't know anything about it, but asked why I needed it.  He said, "You've never suffered from negativity.  You are like 'yes, we can do that.  I don't know how, but we can do it'." 

I started thinking about how a negative attitude must appear to God.  We are so blessed.  How must He feel when He hears us complain?  It is no different than we feel when we hear our children complain.  We have worked so hard to give them good things in life and they complain about something minor.  Complaining does not honor or glorify God.  

Several years ago, my husband and I taught the College and Career class in Sunday School.  One Sunday morning a student walked in and complained that she didn't get any sleep the night before because she had to sleep on the floor.  Her grandparents were visiting and her parents had insisted that she give her bed to them.  "So I had no choice but to sleep on the floor."

I asked, "You didn't have any other place to go?"

"Yes, I could have gone to my aunt's house, but I didn't want to do that."

I said, "Then you had a choice.  You just didn't like the consequences."

Most of the time, we have a choice in life.  With every decision comes consequences.  What right do we have to complain and be negative when we made the decision, which in turn means we chose the consequences?

Likewise, we have a choice about being negative or discouraging.  Here is what the Bible says about being discouraging.
Then the officials said to the king, “This man should be put to death. He is discouraging the soldiers who are left in this city, as well as all the people, by the things he is saying to them. This man is not seeking the good of these people but their ruin.” Jeremiah 38:4 NIV

The officials were requesting that a man be put to death for discouraging others (being negative).  I challenge you today to be encouraging to someone.  Be positive about your life and your choices.  Chose this day to bring honor and glory to God through a positive and encouraging attitude.

No comments: