Thursday, April 12, 2012

Proud Wife

Today I get to brag about my husband.  He started working in a grocery store when he was 16 years old and has worked diligently at several jobs since that time.  Today, 44 years later, we are celebrating his retirement.  The unit he works with at the refinery honored him today with a retirement luncheon.  I was invited to the luncheon.  Some of his crew members, some for 23 years, spoke of the time they have worked with him.  There were some good natured jabs, but most spoke of his work ethic.  During the luncheon, but after the speeches, the superintendent of the unit came in to speak to my husband.  I heard him say, "I don't know everyone very well, but I have heard many times about your work ethic.  You will be missed.  We appreciate your service."

I was very proud of him.  He is a hard worker and always has been.  He is also dependable and reliable.  The unit counts on him to do a job.  He will also make sure he does the job correctly.  Some of the teasing was about how many questions he asks before doing a job.  The crew member said, "Sam is going to make sure he does the job right.  He wants to know the procedure and policy.  He wants to understand the job and will a million questions until he does understand."  Let me tell you, he does the same thing at home.  It has been the source of many conflicts in our home.  I would venture to say that he would be more comfortable if I wrote procedures with everything including how to change a light bulb.-- Just teasing.

I am proud of him and thankful for his work ethic.  It is a tribute to his character and his faith.  He believes a Christian ought to be known by his works.  Matthew 5:16 says "Let your light so shine before your men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your father which is in heaven." 

Do people at work know you are a Christian by the way your do your job?

No comments: