Monday, March 4, 2013

The Healing Power of Laughter

There are times when we each need healing.  Sometimes it is physical and other times it's emotional.  One of the best medicines God gave us is laughter.  For far too long, Christians have been viewed as having no sense of humor.  That is a completely wrong perception.  I didn't even begin laughing until I got saved.  Now I laugh all the time.  Doesn't that sound wonderful?  Well it's not.  Sometimes I see humor in something and no one else in the room agrees.  Or something that happens in front of me reminds me of something in the past and I start laughing.  Do you have any idea what it feels like to be the only one in the room laughing and everyone else is looking at you like you are crazy?  It's not fun.

Today I want to share with you one of my favorite Christian comedians.  He did not set out to become a comedian and still doesn't consider himself as such.  He doesn't tell jokes.  Like me, he sees the funny side of life and tells his stories.  He visited our former church years ago.  I enjoyed his stories then and still do.  He told one of these stories to our congregation and it was hilarious.  I listened to it today and it is as funny today as it was thirty years ago.  I hope you enjoy these.

If you have not done so already, please meet Mark Lowry.


No comments: