Thursday, May 16, 2013

Strength For Today


My Son and His Love Wife
Their Beautiful Baby Boy

I shared something on Facebook the other day that came up on my newsfeed.  It was a poster type sign that read

You never know how strong you are...
until being strong is the only choice you have.

I saw the poster the day my grandson was born weighing 1.4 lbs.  Immediately I thought of how strong my son and daughter-in-law had been through the most difficult time in their lives.  Unless you've sat helplessly by the bed of your sick child, you don't know the fear that can grip your heart.  Many were the nights I sat by this son's bedside watching him struggle for air because of asthma. I watched him gasp for breath and then take so long between breaths I'd think "Lord is he dead?"  Then without warning, he'd take a gulp of air.  Each time I noticed that I also took a breath.  I unintentionally held my breath when he did.

Now he sits by the bedside--incubator--of his son.  He watches him struggle for breath.  He watches as the tubes monitor his son's every breath, pulse and heartbeat.  Being medically trained, he knows the pain his son felt when they put those IVs in his delicate little hand.

I would like to take this opportunity to tell everyone how incredibly proud I am of my son and his lovely wife.  The bravery they've shown during this traumatic time has been admirable.  The faith they've shown in God has been a true testimony and witness for Christ. 

Did they do anything I didn't do???  No.  Why was their burden heavier than mine?  When I sat by my son's bedside, he was 5 years old and weighed about 40 lbs.  Their son is 13 weeks premature and weighs 1.4 lbs.  They have no idea how long he will remain in the NICU.  

My son was once a child with asthma.  Today he is a man, husband, father, and believer of Christ Jesus.  I am proud he is my son.  I admire the man he has become and the choices he has made--especially the choice he made in a wife.  

With Love,
From a mother's heart.

No comments: