Monday, February 28, 2011

Appropriate Place for Word?

As usual this morning when I opened my computer, I was greeted with the news.  Apparently an actress used an inappropriate word during the Oscar Awards program.  The news reported that she dropped the 'f' bomb.  This sentence was followed by a quote of exactly what she said.  That was followed by her reaction to the use.  She apologized (off camera) for the use.  She said she didn't mean to offend anyone and then she said, "This probably wasn't an appropriate place to use that word."

My question is "Where is an appropriate place to use that word?"  I am 57 years old and have been fairly successful in life.  Not once in that 57 years have I found it necessary to use that word. 

I remember when I was about 14 years old, some boys walking down the street used that word.  My dad quickly reprimanded them.  I did not know what the word meant.  That was the first time I had ever heard it.  How low have we sunk in morality that such a word is acceptable in society?  We need to clean up our language and force our brains to use intelligent words.  We have allowed our brains to get lazy and use 'street language'.  Let's get back to clean, appropriate language.

No comments: