Saturday, March 19, 2011

Lesson From a Five Year Old

When I was a teenager, I met a man whose son had been born with a heart defect.  At 5 years of age the boy required emergency heart surgery.  This was in the early days of heart surgery and recovery rate was extremely low. 

When the child awoke following surgery, both hands and feet were strapped to the rails of the beds to protect the many IVs in each arm and leg.  He was unable to move any part of his body.  He lay in bed with only his genitals covered.  He had been cut down the middle of his chest from the top of his sternum to his stomach.  This must have been a heart wrenching site for his parents. 

His dad leaned over the bed and said, "Son, is there anything I can do for you?"

This 5 year old boy replied, "Could you get me an aspirin?  I think I have a headache."

Now that's spirit.  We can all learn from that small child.

No comments: