Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I Did it Again

I know you are not going to believe this, but I have done it again.  I have been doing it for 26 years.  You would think I would have learned my lesson by now.

What did I do?  I fell in love.  I substituted for a teacher who had a death in the family and when I walked into the room, I saw a desk in the back away from all the others.  The teacher showing me where my instructions were said, "That's Donnie's desk.  He cannot sit by the other students."

When Donnie entered the classroom, I walked over to meet him.  The first words out of his mouth told me that he had a speech impairment and was a little slow mentally.  Some time during those two days I fell in love with him.  In my years as an educator, I have always seemed to fall in love with the behaviorally challenged.  Donnie is one the sweetest little boys I have ever known.  Yes, he has some behavior issues.  But when I applied a little love, the sweet child emerged.  With a little extra love, patience, guidance, and structure a behaviorally challenged child will show the child deep within but afraid to come out. 

Do you deal with a child that is behaviorally challenged?  I urge you to take the extra steps to show this child how special he or she is.  It is well worth the extra work.

No comments: