Monday, March 5, 2012

Very Exciting Day

Today is a very exciting day.  You may not think so, but I do.  For those of you who do not know, I have been in pain for two months.  My right knee has been a source of occasional pain for several years.  I have been told by the doctor that I will need knee replacement in a few years.  Two months ago,  I was walking to my car and was struck with excruciating pain in my right knee.  That pain lasted for two days.  I went to the doctor, who conducted some tests and then sent me to an orthopedic surgeon.  He conducted more tests and determined that both cartilages in my right knee are torn. 

Today I will have surgery on my knee.  That's exciting???  Yes, it is.  Even though the pain has been handled with a combination of medication and very little activity, it has still been exhausting.  There have been times when I have sitting on the couch an just started crying--not from pain, but from being tired of being in pain.  Being limited is boring and morale crushing.  Think about not being able to do anything and not feeling like it anyway.  I don't know how anyone could do this for any length of time.  It makes me look at people who are permanently disabled in a new light. 

When the doctor told me he was scheduling surgery, I felt better immediately.  Why?  Because there was hope.  I don't know how much longer I could stand the pain if I knew there was no hope of getting better.  Finally, today I will feel better.  After a short recuperation I will be back up to speed.  I can resume my old life and do the things I love, like cooking, baking, writing and teaching. 

Praise God for hope. You will be secure, because there is hope; you will look about you and take your rest in safety.  Job 11:18.

No comments: