Thursday, September 6, 2012

Reflections of Rosalyn Published

Reflections of Rosalyn "A Life of Victory"
Reflections of Rosalyn
I am so excited to announce the publication of my latest adult novel.  It is titled Reflections of Rosalyn--A Life of Victory.  This book was written from my heart and is my favorite so far.  As I wrote, I laughed and cried with Rosalyn as she looked back at her life.  Here is the book description:
 
This book is a heartfelt look at Rosalyn’s life in transition, filled with reflections of her past. A past filled with heartache and pain, but also filled with joys and experiences that Rosalyn wouldn’t trade for the world.
Recently widowed, she now must choose what decisions to make. All alone now, without the guiding hand of the man she cherished, she must face the challenges of the future while she examines her past, and wonders how she is going to make it through the rest of her life without the man she loved for so long. As she is looking forward, she must also look back to try and understand how she got to this point. She reminisces about her loveless childhood and difficult teen years.
She also reflects on the incident that forced her to leave home in her most formidable teenage years and strike out on her own. The imminent scandal that influenced every decision she made
after that date. She relives her struggles to make the love of her life proud of her, all the while knowing that she may never see him again. Although these memories are painful, they are essential to who she is today.
 
I intentionally put Rosie to work in an assisted living center.  My mother-in-law lived in an assisted living center and it was the source of much laughter for us.  I wanted to take advantage of the setting and the humor.  I hope you enjoy the reasoning of the elderly.  Here is a short excerpt:
 
One night she heard a noise on the second floor and went to investigate. Mr. Bob was watching All Quiet on the Western Front. Rosie walked into the television room just as the battle started.
“Mr. Bob, the television is too loud.”
“Huh?”
“The television is too loud. We need to turn it down a little.”
“Huh?”
“Turn the down volume. It’s too loud.”
“I can’t hear you, the television is too loud.”
Rosie walked over to the set and turned down the volume. Before she turned around, she heard Mr. Bob say, “Turn that back up. I can’t hear it. You smarty-pants little girl. You come in here thinking you know everything. You ain’t the boss, you know. Now turn that back up.”
“Why does it have to be so loud?”
“So I can hear it. Don’t you know anything?”
“Why can’t you hear it at a normal volume?”
“Because I don’t have my hearing aids in, you ding-a-ling.”
“Why don’t you put in your hearing aids?”
“Because I don’t have them. And you’re going to school? They don’t teach young people nothing anymore.”
“Where are they?”
“Where is what?”
“Your hearing aids, Mr. Bob. Where are your hearing aids?”
“They’re in my room.”
“Why don’t you go get them?”
“Because I’m watching a movie. At least I was before you sashayed in here and turned the sound down. Why don’t you go back to the desk where you’re supposed to be?”
“I had to come see what all the noise was.”
“No you didn’t. We had them dad-blamed scoundrels on the run, and you came in here and interrupted the war. What in tarnation do you think you’re doing?”
“Mr. Bob, go to your room and get your hearing aids.”
“I’m going. I'm going to find George and tell him that you messed up the war. In my day, pretty girls stayed at home where they belonged and showed some respect to their elders. They didn’t go sticking their noses where they didn’t belong.” He stormed out of the room—at least, as fast as his walker would allow him to move anyway .
Rosie followed Mr. Bob to the elevator, and then turned to descend the stairs. She stood at the elevator on the first floor when the door opened. Mr. Bob grabbed his heart and then staggered backward a few steps.
“How did you get down here so fast? You must be some kind of magic woman.”
“That’s right. I’m a magic woman, and if you don’t go back to your room, I’m going to put a spell on you.”
“I’m going back to my room. I don’t like you.”
“I understand, Mr. Bob. Have a good night.”
Just as the elevator door closed she heard him say, “You’re mean. I’m telling George.”
 




No comments: