Monday, May 27, 2013

Worst Form of Government

Military tombstone decorated for Memorial day
Memorial Day
Today is Memorial Day--the day we set aside to remember those who died to protect our country.  With the events in my life over the last two weeks, I must say they died for more than our physical country.  Winston Churchill said, "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."

Is our country perfect?  Absolutely not. 
  • We have far too many people waiting on the government to take care of them.  Apparently they forget what Abraham Lincoln said at Gettysburg:  "that government of the people, by the people, and for the people, shall not perish."  Who do they think the government is?  
  • At the same time we have just as many people who require help and aren't receiving it.  
  • Both food and medical care are way overpriced.  
  • Our morals have never been lower and we don't even have the good graces to apologize for them.  
  • Our education system needs to be revamped but no one seems to know the answer.  
  • We have an abundance of  'deadbeat dads' who refuse to personally or financially take care of their children.  
  • We have an unbelievable number of registered sex offenders, yet we don't know where 20% of them are.

So what is so great about our country?  Here are a few things I've experienced in the last two weeks. 

  • I have written this posting criticizing our nation.  
  • I have asked you to pray for my grandson, born prematurely weighing 1.4 lbs.  Literally hundreds of you sent me messages that you were praying.  Dozens sent messages about similar situations where the child grew to be a strong healthy person.  
  • My son and daughter-in-law were able to choose a hospital with a great Neonatal Care Unit. 
  • I've asked prayer for my sister who is battling cancer.  Many responded--some writing their prayer, making them public for all the world to see.  
  • My sister and brother-in-law are able to choose a hospital and treatment plan for her.  
  • My mother and I traveled to help care for my sister without passing a checkpoint or obtaining permission.

Updates:  My sister is doing a little better.  My brother-in-law took her to the ER Saturday night and they determined she had an infection--UTI--which my sister and brother-in-law had been telling them.  Antibiotics are helping.  My grandson is breathing on his own and now weighs 1.10 lbs.  He is growing, doing well, and definitely leaving his mark in this world.

Please take time to focus on the privileges and freedoms you have and thank God for those willing to sacrifice their lives for those freedoms.  Our government is not perfect.  If you feel that there are more negatives than positives and you can't standing living here, please remember you have the freedom to leave this country anytime you want.

2 comments:

cousin said...

Which sister, Shirley or Debbie?

Unknown said...

I am trying to respect my sister's privacy. I will be glad to answer this question privately. Please send me contact information and I will answer your question. I will not publish your info. Thanks.