Sunday, June 2, 2013

From My Heart

iClipart,vines,twists,leaves,nature,swirls,elements,black and white,backgroundsI'm not exactly sure of my subject today, so I titled this post From My Heart.  The title of the blog is Life's Journey where we examine the twists and turns of life and the lessons we learn along the way.   I used that title because my brain is intrigued by the behavior of people.  I am constantly observing encounters between individuals that leave me perplexed about the animal for which Christ gave His life.  I often wonder why people make the same few mistakes repeatedly.  I wonder if we really do learn.  

If we are going to talk about the twists and turns of life, we certainly have to talk about the last three weeks in my life.  Most of you know that my sister has been battling cancer for several months.  That has been a burden for our family as you would expect.  

Almost three weeks ago, our son called at 5:30 a.m. to tell us that his wife's blood pressure had gone to stroke level the night before.  He rushed her to the ER.  Unsuccessful in their attempt to lower her blood pressure, the doctors performed a C-section and delivered our first grandchild at 27 weeks, weighing 1.4 lbs.   
Zigzagging arrows
Here is kind of a quick timeline of the way life has gone.
  • My sister was placed on Hospice care.
  • My grandson was born weighing 1.4 lbs.
  • Sister is not happy with hospice, fires one, hires another.
  • My grandson is doing well, gaining weight, increasing feedings.
  • Sister is happy with new hospice.
  • Grandson begins to have some digestive issues.  Feedings are decreased.
  • Sister told by hospice she has one week to live.
  • My mother and I go to my sister's to help.
  • Sister taken to ER.
  • Sister back in ER in four days.
  • Sister told by ER doctors that she is "losing the battle."
  • Brother-in-law took ER reports to family doctor and was told that my sister has six to eight weeks to live.
  • My sister tells me that she believes she will live somewhere between the one week and the eight weeks.  
  • Son and daughter-in-law are allowed to hold the baby for the first time.
There have been many twists and turns in my life.  Each one has brought about special thoughts and emotions. With every one we learned more about ourselves and our Savior.  Through it all we have been sure that our God has a plan and a purpose.  I am reminded of a song that touched my heart during a crisis several years ago.  The phrase that touched me was "When you can't see God's hand, trust His heart."  Many times in the last three weeks we haven't seen the hand of God, but we have certainly seen His heart.  My prayer is that we have learned whatever it is that God is teaching us.


No comments: